Can I purchase prior Military Service?
Yes, the years that an employee served on active duty in the military service of the Armed Forces of the United States or the United States Merchant Marine, voluntarily or involuntarily, honorably or under honorable conditions, prior to employment with the City can be added to the member's years of credited service. The employee has to contribute to the fund the sum that the employee would have contributed, based on the employee's salary and the contribution rate in effect at the time that the credited service is requested, had the employee been a member of the retirement system. All costs associated with the purchase of prior military service is paid solely by the employee.

Show All Answers

1. How do I know if I am eligible to participate in the General Employee Defined (DB) Retirement Plan?
2. When do I become eligible for normal retirement benefits?
3. How is the amount of my normal retirement benefits computed?
4. When you calculate my pension, what is included in my earnings?
5. Can I retire before I am eligible for normal retirement benefits?
6. How is my early retirement pension computed?
7. How long are pension payments made?
8. Can I provide for payments to continue to a beneficiary upon my death?
9. What happens if I leave City employment before I can retire?
10. What if I leave City employment before I have the required 10 years of credited service?
11. Are benefits paid if I die before I retire?
12. What happens if I am disabled?
13. Who pays for retirement benefits?
14. Can I ever lose the contributions I made to the Plan?
15. What happens to the pension contributions?
16. Who administers the Defined Benefit Plan?
17. What are my medical benefits under the Defined Benefit (DB) Retirement Plan?
18. What is a Deferred Retirement Option Plan (DROP)?
19. Can I purchase prior Military Service?